Construction Research Institute of Malaysia (CREAM) was incorporated on the 26th March, 2004 as a company limited by guarantee without having a share capital under the companies Act 1965 on the initiative of CIDB in order to function as a corporate vehicle for carrying out CIDB’s research function so as to enable CIDB to concentrate on the performance of its core function.
Relationship between academia and industry should need to be strengthened because such relationship will allow both the academician and the industry to capitalise on the strength of the other whilst helping to alleviate weaknesses in their research endeavour.
- Prof. Ir. Dr. Zuhairi Abd. Hamid,
Executive Director of Construction Research Institute of Malaysia
Towards realising the establishment of CREAM, the Board of Trustees of CREAM has assumed the responsibility over all matters relating to the planning, implementation and management of the R&D Projects and related activities. CREAM started to operate fully under a company limited by guarantee status effectively on 1st January, 2006.
The nation will recognise CREAM as the leading institute for Research and Development (R&D) in the Malaysian construction industry.
To serve the strategic research needs of the Malaysian construction industry. CREAM is committed to working with all industry’s stakeholders and researchers to explore and encourage the development of a knowledge-based industry responsive to changing demand.
- To undertake and finance research activities to align with the Construction Industry Transformation Programme (CITP 2016-2020),
- To be the Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Construction (COE) for sustainable construction in Malaysia,
- To provide services and facilities at Makmal Kerja Raya Malaysia (MKRM) on heavy structural testing that focus on structural and IBS components,
- To certify building materials listed in Schedule 4 of CIDB Act 520, by CREAM Certification Services,
- To develop and stimulate research initiatives together with the Malaysian construction industry players,
- To establish R&D collaborations with local and international construction industry stakeholders,
- To establish R&D collaborations with local and international universities and research institutes,
- To disseminate latest technology and CREAM R&D products to the construction industry players,
- To obtain funds and offer venture capital for R&D purposes and
- To promote, patent and commercialise CREAM R&D products.